Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Court Update

Well Hello Everyone,

I have an update for Court yesterday. I was not sent to jail!!!! That was great. Derryl was not given full custody of the children!!! That was even better. He wanted full custody of the kids even though he has not come for over two years to see them. He could not even give a reason why he would not come. He told the Judge that I withheld them from him. He could not even explain why he did not send them any mail, phone calls, or even email to establish visits again. He did not seem all together there. He would go off on random subjects and his attorney would have to bring him back to the topic. It was very strange. He could not articulate very well. I don't know what is happening to him but it is very strange. He testified that because of his liver transplants he now has kidney problems. I have never heard of that. Anyone have any ideas on that? He says that he has to rest a lot because he does not have a lot of strength but yet he thinks he can keep up with all that our five kids at home do. For instance: Varsity bball game tonight, scouts, achievement days, work, school activities and anything else that would come up. Oh, he also says that because of the transplant he cannot work. I have seen people go back to work after a heart transplant. I don't know what his deal is. Alonzo Mourning went back to the NBA with a kidney transplant and still plays.

I would like to hear you thoughts on this. Does any know of anyone that has had a transplant and not been able to work or vice versa has been able to go back to work.

I am going to sign the children up to see a counselor on the advice of the Guardian ad litem and the Judge. Derryl wants this certain lady and the Judge and GAL thought she would be a good person for the children to talk to about the issues they have with their father. Since he picked her I am going to set up a visit with her for myself and the kids. So he cannot say I attempted to bias the Counselor against him. He picked her and made it known to the Court this is who he wants. So I will go with it.

This was also the first time that I have heard and seen his attorney get upset with him. Derryl would not stick the questions being asked and just randomly go to different subjects so his attorney go very upset with him and yelled at him. The Judge, GAL and I were very shocked at this. He kept trying to keep Derryl again on the subject and questions that were being asked.

I handled myself very well as my own attorney. I did not cry or even yell at him. Though I really wanted to. He makes me so angry. He thinks of our children as property to own not the children they are. I don't know he just doesn't just stop with all the actions of going to court. He does not want to see them for the right reasons. He also cannot understand why they don't want to see him after he hasn't seen them for over 2 years. I love my children very much and will not stop fighting him in court every time he pulls this stuff. I would love for the court to finally say enough is enough and not allow him to keep on doing this. I do know the Judge was getting fed up with him yesterday. Also after his show cause and change of custody were denied by the Judge the Commonwealth Attorney Chilton Reed stopped me as I was walking by and told that I did a wonderful job. That handled myself very well.
I had to pat myself on the back for that. I have learned a lot about the legal system while going through this. I can take on anybody now. I don't know all the legal mumbo jumbo but I well certainly fight for my kids. His attorney was shocked that I took him on and stood up for myself and my kids.

Well I need to help Meagan with a resume for her mentorship meeting tomorrow so I need to sign off. Any thoughts will be appreciated good or bad. Advice offered will be great here, phone or email. Thanks.

2 comments:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

I'm very surprised. I'm not a medical doctor, and I don't believe the judge would be one either. I would think that a claim like that would be something a decent court would defer to a doctor on. If a doctor certifies that a transplant results in disability, and if a second doctor concurs, some stock might be put in the claim. But without a real doctor's certification plus a verification and concurring opinion, I would tend to think such a claim should not be counted upon. Again, I'm no medical doctor, so I just don't know.

The only time I've known a court participant to begin rambling and going off on tangents, it turned out to be part of a ploy to later demonstrate that the party was "going crazy", and to persuade the judge that the court proceedings were causing the party to suffer mental anguish, to support the party's later petition to put a stop to the repeated court proceedings and summarily rule in the party's favor in a future proceeding. The judge wasn't able to see through the charade, and almost ended up falling for the ploy.

I don't like courts.

Nicole said...

Thanks for the input. I don't like courts either. But, I amvery happy the Judge ruled in my favor. We will see what happens at the next hearing in February. This time I know the Judge and GAL did see through the charade.